Tonight I made Baked Oatmeal Casserole, recipe featured here: Baked Oatmeal Casserole
The youth leader commented tonight, "You always bring healthy stuff and I'm continually surprised that it actually tastes good too!" It's always good to hear this kind of feedback :)
Items I purchased:
-Oats
-Walnuts
-Blueberries
-Strawberries
-Bananas
-Milk
-Chocolate chips
The rest of the ingredients I consider baking staples and had on hand. Total cost of bought ingredients for me was $12, but it would run a little bit more with the additional cost of butter, sugar, and other extraneous items (salt, baking powder, etc.)
The prep time for this recipe was my biggest "whoops" moment. It took me about forty-five minutes to prep this, but largely because I got confused about combining milk, egg, and melted butter and ended up starting over several times on this and in the end still wasn't sure I mixed those things properly (it created this buttery film on the top which did not look good and ended up being hard to distribute evenly on top of the oats).
I thought it tasted delicious but a few of the kids avoided this I think because it looks like a strange and is not something a lot of kids are used to. Although it was all gone at the end!
No comments:
Post a Comment